Greek cuisine is based on the variety of colorful and flavorful local foods. Greeks use a lot of vegetables, olive oil, grains, fish, wine, and meat (including lamb, poultry, rabbit and pork). Other ingredients include olives, feta cheese, eggplant, zucchini, lemon juice, herbs, bread and yoghurt.
1. Yemista. These are stuffed tomatoes or peppers. The stuffing is usually made of rice and various herbs and sometimes of minced meat.
2. Tzatziki is one of the classic Greek dishes that is often treated as a sauce. It is made of yogurt, garlic, olive oil and a fresh cucumber.
3. Spanakopita or Greek spinach pie is a traditional snack for breakfast, but also matches with every time of the day meal. Feta cheese, olive oil and spinach are mixed and baked together in the most delicious Mediterranean pie.
4. Saganaki. The cheese lovers will definitely appreciate this dish. It is prepared with two main ingredients—flour and cheese. Covered with honey and sesame it may create a memorable experience of Mediterranean Cuisine.
5. Pastitsio is pasta with ground beef and béchamel sauce.
6. Moussakas is a legendary dish which is served in all tavernas in Greece. The most delicious layers of eggplant with minced beef between them and creamy béchamel sauce at the top make this food simply irresistible.
7. Gyros is an ideal choice for those who want to try local fast food. The meat is roasted vertically while turning on the spit. Slices of pork (or chicken) are placed in pita with various sauces, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and potato chips.
8. Kolokythokeftedes is a delicious veggie starter served in all the Greek taverns around the country. It may contain some feta cheese with a bit of fresh mint. The original dish is usually crispy outside with a creamy texture inside.
9. Fava is a mouthwatering vegetable dip, made of yellow split peas. It has a creamy texture and a totally amazing taste—a great appetizer for every season.
10. Feta with Honey. This interesting Greek dish can be treated as a dessert or an entrée. Feta is wrapped in pastry and oven baked. Covered with honey, it has a pure balance between salty and sweet.